Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I Want a Workspace!

a friend's temporary workspace


One thing that was really awesome about taking an art class in school was access to a studio. Floors that were meant to be mopped at the end of the day so you needn't panic about spills, tables that were large, uncluttered, ready for anything you had in mind. Because of the fact that I live in an apartment & am not an art student, my workspace is always very temporary. I pick my keyboard & mouse off my desk & lay out newspaper there, or I take my work on the road. Crocheted things can be done in parks, on the bus, in a cafe. Painting can be done outdoors, but is more difficult to manage. Sewing is most restrictive, I am attached to an outlet for my machine. Music is relatively portable as well, luckily I am not a pianist or something.


But still, a permanent workspace would be so wonderful! I feel it would be conducive to bringing together all the different mediums I like to work with if they could somehow be allowed to be out all together at once.


For those of you who create, where do you do it? How do you deal with the necessity of a place to work?

6 comments:

  1. I feel your pain -- my sewing space is the dining room table, with is currently covered in a couple hundred vintage cameras from my late grandfather-in-law's collection. I really want to sew a little bag to put a ball of yarn in to take to my group tomorrow, to keep it safe from my purse & stuff, but there's no where to sew!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, an official workspace is definitely more conducive to creativity. Do you have a little corner or nook you could designate? Your friend's space looks charming :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like sewing takes up more room than anything else & part of the reason why I'm so slow at finishing those kinds of projects is because of the fact that it takes so much work just to get things ready! I've been contemplating renting studio space in a craft store over here, but I don't know if I'd be able to make it over there enough to make it worth the money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty cramped! I have a really small apartment & basically my desk is eaten up by my computer. I'm going to have to try & come up with a plan to make this work

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I lived in an apartment I kept everything in boxes and then hauled it all out when I felt like working on something, which was always a pain in the butt. Now I'm having to share space with a guest bed, but it's not too bad, I atleast have my own little area to work in. I'll most likely end up throwing my guests on the couch and getting rid of the bed. :)

    You might want to take a look at this community on livejournal, and maybe get some organizing ideas?: ourbedrooms.livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally forgot about that community! I used to spend hours & hours on there looking at people's photos! Such a great tip, thanks!

    Also, I would totally dominate that guest room if I were you, how wonderful to have a little working space!

    ReplyDelete