Sunday, March 18, 2012

Music Monday: La Sera






Tomorrow is the first day of Spring! Unfortunately, Los Angeles is kind of a seasonless place because I really love transitioning weather music. By which, of course, I mean things that you listen to when it's no longer predictably hot or cold and you get to see beautiful things like colorful leaves while the sun is warming your cheeks or you go outside wearing a skirt with no tights for the first time in a long time and your legs are like, "What is this magical world of outside?!??". One of my very favorite transitioning weather albums is Bob Dylan's, "Desire".

Anyway, lucky for me, despite Los Angeles' reputation of summer all the time, sometimes there is a break! A tiny little break that lasts maybe a day or two & then it's magically eighty degrees or whatever again because I don't know, perhaps the sun just enjoys hanging out around Southern California. At the very beginning of March, it was freakishly hot. But this week things got chilly which I initially thought was actually an illusion because the time change made me get out of the apartment earlier & when I get a chill in the morning, I'm cold all day, but actually turned out to be a warning of a tiny, perfect, adorable little rainstorm! Today was sunny & windy & this past weekend just felt like the wonderful transitioning period I love so much.

Basically all I was listening to besides Leonard Cohen's latest (duh) and The Hunger Games Soundtrack (are you excited too?) was La Sera's new album, "Sees the Light." I've never actually listened to Vivian Girls despite being told numerous times that I would enjoy them (I am the kind of lazy where until you actually give me music I will be "meaning to check them out . . " for my entire life), but I did get my hands on this solo project of one member. Katy Goodman has this kind of ghost girl voice that I really love listening too & initially I felt like I liked this album because it sounded kind of like Hello Seahorse, but in English, and less ethereal, more gritty. The track "It's Over Now" feels especially Hello Seahorse-y to me and "Real Boy" sounds like it could have been written by Jens Lekman and feels like summer vacation. The little bounce between these sadder, more retrospective tunes & the more upbeat, cheery ones make it my favorite thing for this week's faux seasonal change.

No comments:

Post a Comment