Saturday, April 23, 2011

Abraham Cruzvillegas






So a while back I took a visit to MOCA with a friend of mine& of course saw some really wonderful things. One of the wonderful things was a big wall piece by Abraham Cruzvillegas, much like the red one in this video, but different. Anyway, of course aesthetically I thought it was really interesting & made a mental note to look this guy up later. While every piece of his doesn't do it for me, I really love the thought behind them. I love this idea of identity & creating it and mulling over how and why and what even makes it. The paper thing ended up being even more interesting than it looked. After hearing him talk about what the papers actually were and how the information was covered, I thought a lot about how to any one besides the person who created these records (oh hey, library school talk, I see you've gotten in again), the information on them probably might as well be covered, it doesn't really mean anything. I thought about movie tickets, plane tickets, receipts that I've saved and how they don't mean much, but in a way they are part of who I am. Or a part of the self I have created through action. At any rate, it would probably be nice to have a conversation with this artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment