Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Coin Jewelry


As someone who likes to make things, I also love to buy handmade! In my imagination, this is because we crafty people can better appreciate the effort & love that goes into handmade work.


At any rate, a few months ago, I purchased a necklace from a man named Terry Clift at what was essentially a street fair held on my former university's campus. I fell in love with much of his work because I love animal jewelry & I also really like looking at currency from other countries while daydreaming about what it might be like to live there. I wanted to make sure I had time to wear it before recommending this jewelry to anyone else. Please note that I am notoriously rough on my jewelry & have worn this out quite a few times.

Apparently Terry cuts each coin using a hand saw (um what?!?), the chains he uses are great quality, & he has a huge variety of currency! You can order from his website JCoin.com. If I weren't trying to save money right now, I would definitely be all over the Greek 2 Drachma piece, the Trinidad & Tobago 1 cent, & the Uruguay 10 cent!

2 comments:

  1. Did you say hand saw?? I hope it's a tiny one..and still, that is amazing! Is the one in the picture yours? Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, hand saw! i think there's a picture of the saw on his website. i can't even imagine how he does it, the coins are so small & some of the details are really delicate!

    the one in the picture is mine! it's really quickly become one of my favorite things to wear!

    ReplyDelete