Thursday, April 8, 2010

Neighborhood

So I'm taking a beginning photo class at school this semester & have been having too much fun with our current assignment which is to create a series. Initially my thought was people & their pets because I love that relationship. I think it's so sweet & kind of funny. Some people get really weird about their pets & I love it.

But that was starting to go the "too cute" route & as I was doing it, I realized that is a project that would take me a lot longer than the time I have to do it how I would really like. We were supposed to take a good portion of the photos during spring break & in between trying to schedule people at their convenience, work on other assignments, & actually trying to relax, I couldn't always capture in my favorite kind of light.

So I think that is a project I will have to return to in the future. Maybe this summer? I definitely need to improve my directing people skills so if you've got time, let me know!

Thanks again to those of you who let me photograph you. If I haven't sent you your pictures yet, I will probably do so this weekend!

Anyway, during spring break I also started what I have been tentatively calling "neighborhood". There are a lot of brand name housing developments where I live & I've always found it a weird blend of amusing & sad. So basically for my project I have been going about taking pictures of the same models of houses in these neighborhoods. My goal is to try & make you, the viewer, feel that same amusing & sad mixture. Because for some reason we are so willing to conform & that the idea of living in these nearly identical houses is actually so appealing to some people. Seriously for some pictures, I thought I had accidentally done the same one twice! & yet even with all these limitations, people do attempt to customize, to make their house into their home. Here is a sample:



Also, I finally made an "About" section here & "Book" where you can preview 15 pages of "plant collectors in bolivia", but don't buy it, I promise I will give you a copy as soon as I can.

2 comments:

  1. I really like this! I live in a very suburban area with a lot of housing developments that look just like this. I don't know how those are, but the ones around my old neighborhood have very confusing curvy streets. So, the houses all look the same and the streets make no sense...do you see where I'm going here? It's like driving through a horror movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean! When I first moved to this neighborhood, I got lost all the time. & I got lost again while working on this project! Putting together the book is simultaneously making me laugh & giving me a headache. I keep getting really confused about which pictures I've used & which I haven't!

    ReplyDelete